AltoVerde is one of the founder members of the Cannabis Industry Council.
The Cannabis Industry Council held its inaugural meeting on 30th April 2021.
London, 3rd May 2021
AltoVerde is delighted to confirm that it has become a founder member of the newly-formed Cannabis Industry Council, conceived to be the voice of the industry here in the UK. The Council intends to be run as a Community Interest Company and has respected cannabis clinician, Prof Mike Barnes, as its interim chairman.
AltoVerde sees the UK emerging as a European leader in medical cannabis and that the Cannabis Industry Council will play a critical role in bringing this to fruition. To achieve this, the council’s primary goals are to include, but not limited to:
- to define, set and maintain the gold standard for organisations operating in the medical cannabis sector
- to challenge current regulations and guidelines
- to provide a collective voice for the medical cannabis sector
- to increase patient access to medical cannabis
- to commission and carry out research.
AltoVerde’s chairman commented:
“Our company mission is to de-stigmatise and promote the acceptance and use of cannabis products amongst the medical community as well as the population at large. We will achieve this through scientific research and innovation, and by producing high quality cannabis-based medicinal goods. The Cannabis Industry Council raising standards, improving quality and opening access will be hugely important to all.”
The rescheduling of cannabis under the Misuse of Drugs legislation enables unlicensed cannabis-based products for medical use (CBPM) in humans to be available under the provisions for “Specials” under Regulation 167 of the Human Medicines Regulations 2012. The supply, manufacture, importation, and distribution of unlicensed CBPMs in the UK is in accordance with MHRA for medical cannabis 20201.
Founded in 2020, AltoVerde Holdings Ltd is an emerging multifaceted cannabis company, integrating a network of partners and subsidiaries across Europe, and committed to the research, cultivation and distribution of a range of high-quality cannabis products based on novel extraction techniques, and an extensive genetics library. The company’s founders have long standing / well established reputations and relationships in the cannabis industry.
Head of Branding and Communications
+44 207 867 3917
1. Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, (2020). The supply, manufacture, importation and distribution of unlicensed cannabis-based products for medicinal use in humans ‘specials’. [Online]. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869284/Cannabis_Guidance__unlicensed_CBPMs__updated_2020.pdf (Accessed: 8 April 2021).